General Playground Expectations
New Playground Supervisor!
Hip, hip, hooray! We have a new playground supervisor. Welcome, Julian Cassano.
Julian comes to us from Colorado where he worked as an after-school program coordinator at a nature center, high in the Rocky Mountains. Julian is originally from California and after finishing grad school in Colorado he made his way to Seattle.
He is excited to be back on the west coast! In his free time, he enjoys reading, hiking and playing soccer and is excited to be working outside with children again.
- Students play in designated areas.
- Football games are catch only! No touch.
- Soccer-no tackling.
- When bell rings, all students line up immediately, even if you are in the middle of a play.
- Students must ask permission to use the bathroom. Students enter through the north door nearest the upper. Check back in with same teacher/supervisor when returning to the playground.
- Students may not go back in the classrooms for equipment, jackets, etc.
- Feet first down the slides one at a time.
- Keep hands to self always ? especially on the climber.
- Climb down safely from the rope.
- One way only on hand over hand bars. Never Skip More than One Bar! This is not allowed at B. F. Day – ever.
- Take turns (30 seconds on spinner) Line up on dot. Children in line can count out (slowly) the 30 seconds. No more than two kids on the spinner at a time. No one may push anyone on the spinner ? spinner is self-propelled by spinner (core strength) Student?s choice to be alone or together. You may stay on spinner if no one is in line.
- Share the top of the rope.
- No climbing on top of other structure parts.
- If rules for lower big toy are not followed student will be told not to use lower climber for rest of day. If child cannot follow rules for two days they may only use upper big toy for the week.
Boulders and Logs
- Rocks & logs are primarily on our grounds for sitting, reading, watching, contemplation, etc.
- Jumping safely from cement to the logs/rocks or visa-versa is ok.
- Jumping from rock to rock, log to log, safely, is ok.
Playground Teacher Responsibilities
- Show up early for duty.
- Stay out until all students are picked up by their teachers.
- Pay attention to kids; don?t get distracted by talking with other adults.
- Actively supervise: Interact, move towards problem areas, etc.
- Be aware of all students ? Sweep area with your eyes including outside our fences.