Attendance Policy 23-24
We believe that all students deserve consistent and equitable access to high quality grade level instruction. Our shared expectations is that students are present and punctual at school.
The first bell rings at 7:50 a.m. At that time, classes line up on the playground and begin moving inside. We expect students to be in line at 7:50 a.m., so that they are in their classrooms at 7:55 a.m. when the second bell, the tardy bell, rings. Instruction begins promptly at 7:55 a.m. At 7:56 a.m., students will be marked tardy.
We appreciate your support in getting your child to school on time for a relaxed, positive start to the school day. Chronic tardiness and absenteeism disrupts not only the learning of the tardy student, but also the entire classroom. It slows the pace of instruction.
Below is our protocol for responding to chronic absenteeism and tardiness:
- For every unexcused absence, the office will call parents to inquire about your student.
- When your student has accrued 3 unexcused absences or tardies, we will call to inform you of their absence and tardy counts.
- When your student has accrued 4 unexcused absences or tardies, we will send a letter mandated by SPS home.
- Upon the accrual of 6 unexcused absences or tardies, Dr. Zisko and/or Mr. Taylor will call to discuss our concerns for your student’s attendance. This may include a home visit.
- Upon the accrual of 8 unexcused absences or tardies, we will schedule a success team meeting with parent and school staff.
We appreciate your cooperation in our mission to support your student’s education and success.
School dismissal is at 2:25 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. On Wednesday, dismissal is at 1:10 p.m. It is our shared expectation that families send their children to school on time, every day, for the duration of our school day. If your child is sick, please keep them at home until they are fever free (without medication) for 24 hours.